Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, February 24, 2006

Reminiscing

Today would have been my husband's Grandma's birthday. Before her death she lived with us for 2 1/2 years. While living with us she suffered through 2 broken hips, one of which was never able to be operated on because she had heart complications. We nursed her through these times and eventually she had a stroke which only further complicated things. We eventually had Hospice care at the house. I have to tell you-if you are ever in need of Hospice then get in touch with Elizabeth Hospice. I don't know how we would have survived some days without them (and the Lord of course). They did everything possible for Grandma but also they knew how difficult it was for me and my family taking care of her and they always asked about us and went out of their way to help us.
Funny thing I remember one night-I had come home and went to put Grandma's pajamas on her and put her to bed. Well, she was getting so fiesty. I was trying to get her to turn her body the right way (up and down) and she would just go sideways. Now mind you, I am strong but only weigh about 110 lbs so when you try to lift a person dead weight it's so hard! So, I finally got her situated and in bed. I went downstairs to get something and I come up and she is fully dressed in her clothes. I went into her closet and found some of her outfits cut up with scissors!! So, I call the hospice and it's about 11pm by this time. I had to give her medicine because of the broken hip and then something else (that alone is a HUGE responsibility). There was another medicine that I had to give her as drops and didn't know if it was ok to give both-so I phoned Hospice and asked them about it-I just told them-someone is going to take this medicine tonight and sleep-either me or her! So, here they come over so late at night and bring another medicine for her!

Anyway, it was a wonderful experience I will never regret. We loved our Grandma so much. She was one of the sweetest people I know and I was so honored to take care of her at the end of her life.


(WARNING-A BIT GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION)

There was such a lesson the Lord showed me in it too. When she died, the coroner people come over and take everything off her and even her false teeth! Then they put her in the body bag. And at that moment, it hit me like a ton of bricks! NOTHING goes with us when we die. We always hear the jokes that you can't take it with you-it's no joke!! It's so true! The only thing we take with us is our soul. All of our achievements and things we worked so hard to gain will not accompany us when we die. It is us preparing to meet our Creator! He doesn't care whose name you wore on your jeans or how big your jewelry was. He doesn't care what our last name was or how many zeros were at the end of our paycheck. (and yes, for us scrappers, He doesn't care how many digi kits we have, (sorry, couldn't resist lol) ) The only thing at that moment is Is our name written in the Lamb's Book of Life? These are not my words, they are the words of Jesus found in His Word.


With that, I changed my blog music today in memory of Grandma. I saw this video not long after she passed away and it always makes me cry. The ending of the video is just so close to home!

Well, I have so much on my mind, but it seems that I am such the blabbermouth and I don't want to bore those of you who are so sweet to take the time to read my long-winded posts!! I will save it for tomorrow.

Here's our Proverb for today:

Through wisdom a house is built
And by understanding it is established
By knowledge the rooms are filled
With all precious and pleasant riches
Proverbs 24:3-4

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful song and I whole-heartedly agree with you on how amazing the people with hospice are. They are angels here on earth for sure. They helped us with Jacob and were amazing even though I think it was the youngest patient they'd ever had. My heart aches for you though in how the coroner's came for your husband's grandmother. I can't imagine going through that experience although the lesson is definitely a strong one. Our experience with Jacob was much different. Tammy and Brian held him for hours even after he'd passed and when the funeral home arrived they told them to take all the time they needed and sat quietly while they spent their last minutes with him. They handed him over and he carried him so lovingly to the car and drove off. I think it was the most difficult moment of the entire experience and I can't imagine how much MORE difficult it would've been had it been handled any differently.

I also wanted to say that I completely agree with you on the protesting at a soldier's funeral. I hadn't heard about that happening but it's dispicable. I read a beautiful letter from the mayor of falujah yesterday that I plan to post on the political portion of my blog. I'll try and link you once it's posted. Wish the media would report on the good that comes from what our soldiers are doing rather than constantly the bad.

I'm feeling the need to take some of these memories you've brought up and get them on a scrapbook page before they're less clear. Thank you for the inspiration.

~Hugs~

Shawn

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home